TItle

Thank you for all of your love and support I am so excited to share this experience with all of you!

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Week One

I have been in Soweto for a week. There have been surprises, joys, and moments where I wonder what in the world I am doing here; I am sure all of these things will continue for the entire time I am here. Through it all I am trying to soak everything in and capture every moment. I know that looking back these first few days and weeks will feel like a blur.

Soweto is huge. I have been told 3 million people live in the area that is considered Soweto, Soweto is short for South Western Townships, it is a compilation of many townships that have all merged together to form one sprawling area known as Soweto. I also was surprised at how in an "urban" environment I feel both rural, suburban, and urban rolled into one. There are chickens, goats, donkeys, and horses that I see every day giving a very rural feel. There is also a large feel of what I would call suburbia with large shopping malls full of chain stores,McDonalds, and KFC. But at the end of the day I know I am in an urban environment with people everywhere. There is constant noise, dogs barking, car horns honking, people everywhere and I love it. On Saturday night the two big Soweto soccer teams played each other and the vuvuzelas were wailing! I can't even imagine the sound during the World Cup!

I am in the midst of figuring out my role here. I am splitting my time between DAM (Diaknoia AIDS Ministry) and the local church circuit. My first week was spent
learning about DAM and beginning the process of finding the where I fit in the different departments. This week I have spent time with the church circuit learning so much.

I am officially moved into my flat! It is located on the compound housing DAM,
the Bishop's Office, a church, and the Dean's (the Dean is a role in the church directly under the Bishop) house. I am sharing it with a woman from Germany who is working at DAM for her gap year before she starts University. There is another German man who works here as well and lives across the compound from us in his own flat. I have my own room and bathroom, something that I have not had in a long time! We share a kitchen and living space as well. I have started decorating my room with lots of pictures that make me smile everyday. It is starting to look like and feel like home.

One of the challenges that I have encountered is language. South Africa has a total of 11 officials languages. One is English, most people speak English as well as 4 or 5 other languages. I can tell when I am getting tired because language becomes more of a problem. People combine all of the languages so I can usually stay focused and catch a few English words in the midst of everything and follow what is happening, but when I am tired it gets harder and harder. Language has also been a blessing! It is a great way to start a conversation with someone new, asking what languages they speak and how to say hello in each.

Church services are something that have been absolutely wonderful and breath taking. Services are not one hour and done. Last Sunday I was in church for 3.5 hours and this morning I was there for 4 hours. I loved every minute. I have never experienced a worship in a language I did not understand but it is amazing how much of worshiping transcends language. Everyone is so happy to be there. Song are not just sung but clapped and danced to. Offering is not just taken but brought up
as true gifts. Both services I have found people to be so welcoming. Everyone brings there own hymnal. Today the women sitting next to me shared hers with me and also passed me candy to eat during the sermon and complimented my attempts at singing in Zulu. I have always loved the community I've found in church and I am learning that the church family extends everywhere with the same love and welcoming spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment