TItle

Thank you for all of your love and support I am so excited to share this experience with all of you!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Universal Truths

I have been at my placement site in Soweto for a full 2 months now. I have been in South Africa for almost 10 weeks. I don’t know if I will ever be completely “settled in” this whole year but I am finding a routine and my place slowly. Through this all I have found some things are similar no matter where in the world I go:

1. Technology and I will never get along. Since high school I have known that computers and I have less than a stellar track record. Through high school every computer I would attempt to work on would inevitably crash. The librarian and the technology department and I all knew each other by name and they would take turns attempting to help me. In my last job the internet would be fine for everyone else and I would try and everything would suddenly crash. I had hoped that this problem was only USA specific. As it turns out this is a world wide occurrence. At DAM we have a limited internet usage each month. We are only pay for so many gigabites and once they are out we are without internet until the first of the month. Once we ran out in October we thought nothing of it. However, it is almost the first full week of November and we are still without internet. Apparently one of the cords that actually connects us to the DSL line is malfunctioning and our internet providor will have to send someone out to fix it. While it could be a coincidence that this has just happened now that I have arrived, past events have made believe otherwise. Worldwide technology and I have our differences.

2. I love peanut butter. I have found at the grocery store that the generic brand, “Pick and Pay No Name Peanut Butter” tastes and is the exact consistency of peanut butter found in the states. This is only sold in 1 kg tubs. Living on my own for the first time I have found just how much peanut butter I eat. I knew it was a lot but I am currently averaging 1 kg per month, I know none of my roommates from Denver are not the least bit surprised by that figure.

3. It is really easy to make me laugh. My coworkers at DAM have found how easy it is for me to laugh. We are all constantly joking around. Sometimes the jokes are not in English but I find myself laughing along with everyone else. Also, the three chickens living on the compound have been a source of great laughter. I am terrified that I will have to someday eat them. Whenever we have chicken at DAM I try to locate the chickens to ensure that I am not eating them. People have combined that fear with my love for the restaurant Nandos, which serves primarily chicken. All 3 chickens are now referred to by many people around here as Nandos.

4. I have an amazing network of friends and family. I love getting notes from each and every one of you. Knowing you are there for me supporting me in so many ways leaves me speechless. You are all an incredible gift. Thank you so much for sharing in this journey and adventure with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment